Who IS ‘Travel Far Enough?’
Hi there. I’m Tara Marlow. I am the writer and photographer behind Travel Far Enough.
I guess I’ve always wanted to travel. I can’t remember ever NOT wanting to travel. I have a bucket list (or Living List, because I live for this list) that would make most people’s heads spin. While life has thrown me some curveballs, the one constant has always been travel.
I am an Aussie ‘girl’ who moved to America in her 20s and moved home again in her 40s.
For the majority of my time in America, I worked for a large corporation. I was working 70-80 hours a week in a job I liked but didn’t love. When I was at home, I’d often respond to requests from my family with “give me five minutes”, but usually getting back to them HOURS later.
SOMETHING HAD TO GIVE.
After a 13-day, 11-state road trip with my daughter Natalie, my life changed completely. My eyes opened to what I was missing out on.
THAT ROADTRIP CHANGED MY LIFE.
I realised just how short life is. I discovered that the time I was giving to my family was non-existent. Add health issues, both mental and physical, and simply put, I was failing at life. I was existing. I wasn’t living. And barely existing at that.
I decided that it was time to hang up the corporate ladder and take my life back. On MY terms.
I ditched the desk and became a freelance writer and photographer.
In 2017, my nest became empty. I decided it was time to fly too and do what I’ve dreamed of doing in years: Travel full time.
After a 10-month road trip through Australia in 2017, I left Australia in early 2018 to wander the world.
In 2018, I have (so far):
- Road tripped through New Zealand on a DIY tiki-tour.
- Driven from San Francisco to L.A., across to Texas via the Grand Canyon and Santa Fe, and then north to Chicago.
- Spent five days exploring the south coast of Iceland.
- I reacquainted myself with southern England.
- I walked 800km across Spain completing the Camino Frances, aka the Camino de Santiago.
- I explored England for another three weeks.
- I spent three weeks in Japan, exploring Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.
- I’ve housesat all over place – in Tasmania & Victoria (Australia), Reading (England), Chicago (U.S.), Vancouver (Canada) and Portland (Oregon).
- I spent 2.5 months discovering parts of the U.S. I’ve not seen in a while including Chicago, Portland and Santa Fe, and Canada, which I’d never been to with my partner-in-crime.
My travel adventures are indefinite, so who knows where I will go next. I have a vague itinerary roughed out, but I’ll need a bit of down time to plan out next year. Well that and downtime is needed to get some much-needed sleep!
HERE’S THE PROFESSIONAL STUFF…. IN CASE YOU’RE INTERESTED:
In my corporate life, I worked as a project manager, a process improvement analyst, a bids manager, a sales contracts administrator, a sales manager, a tech support manager, an escalation lead….zzzzzz.
In 2011, I left the corporate world to pursue my passions…writing and photography. That’s when life got interesting.
- I’ve founded two travel websites: One was about our move from Austin to Sydney. The other was a hobby site, which started this little endeavour.
- I am a certified Travel Advisor (Certificate IV), certified in Amadeus.
- I founded and ran a successful photography business in Texas for 2 years before moving to Australia. (I now have an online photography business here: www.travelfarenough.smugmug.com).
- I am a graduate and member of the International Travel Writers Alliance (2011).
- I completed Marie Forleo’s B-School in 2015 under the mentorship with yTravelBlog’s Caz and Craig Makepeace.
- Oh, and on the side, I’m in the final stages of publishing a novel (fiction), with another non-fiction book started and a fiction book outlined. I also have written a number of fictional short stories.