Hi there. I’m Tara Marlow. I am the writer and photographer behind Travel Far Enough.
I guess I’ve always wanted to travel. I can’t remember ever NOT wanting to travel. I have a bucket list (or Living List, because I live for this list) that would make most people’s heads spin. While life has thrown me some curveballs, the one constant has always been travel.
I am an Aussie ‘girl’ who moved to America in her 20s and moved home again in her 40s.
For the majority of my time in America, I worked for a large corporation. I was working 70-80 hours a week in a job I liked but didn’t love. When I was at home, I’d often respond to requests from my family with “give me five minutes”, but usually getting back to them HOURS later.
SOMETHING HAD TO GIVE.
After a 13-day, 11-state road trip with my daughter Natalie, my life changed completely. My eyes opened to what I was missing out on.
THAT ROADTRIP CHANGED MY LIFE.
I realised just how short life is. I discovered that I gave time to my family (not a proud moment, believe me) plus my health, both mental and physical, was failing me.
I decided that it was time to hang up the corporate ladder and take my life back. On MY terms.
I ditched the desk and became a freelance writer and photographer.
In 2017, my nest became empty. I decided it was time to fly too and do what I’ve dreamed of doing in years: Travel full time.
I’m now on a quest to (re) Discover Australia via massive road trip.
In January 2018, I’ll be in New Zealand for a DIY tiki-tour, before I make my way to Spain and walk the Camino de Santiago. I’ll meet up with some friends in Greece and then… who knows.
The travel adventures are indefinite, so who knows where I will go next. I have a vague itinerary roughed out, but I’d love to just ‘wing it’ for a while.
HERE’S THE PROFESSIONAL STUFF…. IN CASE YOU’RE INTERESTED:
In my corporate life, I worked as a project manager, a process improvement analyst, a bids manager, a sales contracts administrator, a sales manager, a tech support manager, an escalation lead….zzzzzz.
In 2011, I left the corporate world to pursue my passions…writing and photography. That’s when life got interesting.
- I’ve founded two travel websites: One was about our move from Austin to Sydney. The other was a hobby site, which started this little endeavour.
- I am a certified Travel Advisor (Certificate IV), certified in Amadeus.
- I founded and ran a successful photography business in Texas for 2 years before moving to Australia. (I now have an online photography business here: www.travelfarenough.smugmug.com).
- I am a graduate and member of the International Travel Writers Alliance (2011).
- I completed Marie Forleo’s B-School in 2015 under the mentorship with yTravelBlog’s Caz and Craig Makepeace.
- Oh, and on the side, I’m writing a novel (fiction). I also have written a number of fictional short stories.