We’re constantly seeing travel tips that sound really cool, many we’ve tried ourselves.
Check out the tips we think make the most sense and what we’ve put into practice.
1. Use privacy mode when looking for the best airline deals. This will prevent websites from tracking your selections and raising the prices the more you search.
2. Sign up for credit cards that earn miles. Use the credit card for every day purchases to earn you points for travelling. We put everything – rent included – on to our credit card to earn more points and earn them faster.
3. Download the airline app you’re flying and use it for updates. You’ll get the latest flight info straight from the source saving you a great deal of time and angst.
4. When booking your seat assignments, select your seats with a spare in between. Rarely will you have someone assigned the seat in between unless it’s full flight. What do you have to lose?
5. Roll clothing. Use compression bags and packing cubes. This is something you’ll read a lot, but it’s one of the best tips ever. When you roll your clothes, use packing cubes and compression bags, you’ll save a lot of room in your bag.
6. Use ATMs for money versus using exchange booths. You’ll get a better rate every time. Try to use affiliate banks to avoid fees. For example: We can use our Bank of America card at Westpac without incurring charges.
7. Check credit cards for free perks like insurance. Check the fine print on your credit cards. When renting a car, your excess insurance may be covered by your credit card. Check your rewards. You may find a hotel cheaper using points.
8. Use Facetime or Skype when you have WIFI instead of making calls when you’re traveling. I don’t know about your mobile plan, but my plan in Australia charges an exorbitant amount for overseas coverage.
9. Pack shower caps to cover your shoes. This seems like a wacky thing, but you’ll be amazed at how much dirt and grit you’ll get on your shoes when travelling. The shower caps do a great job of containment keeping your clothes clean and ready to wear.
10. Pack clips/ziplocks for snacks and leftovers. Not only will they keep your food fresh, they can be cleaned and reused for a variety of purposes.
Love it? Share it!
The more the merrier! If you love what you’ve read, feel free to share. Then leave us a comment and let us know your thoughts!